“20 Reasons to Not Workout:”
A Flight Attendant On Reserve
It’s a stormy, gloomy day here in Chicago, and my plan for a beautiful morning run has been destroyed. The Weather Channel predicted storms starting last night, and continuing on throughout the day. So, last night, I changed my plan and decided that I would go to a 9am boxing class. I slept in. Change the plan. I decided I would go to the noon boxing class. It’s currently 12:02, and I am still in my pajamas, under my covers, listening to the rain. I have several more chances to make it to boxing, or CrossFit today, but I’m not sure if it is going to happen, because, well… I have a lot of *really good* reasons why not to workout today.
- Crew schedule can call me at any time. If I tucked my phone into my compression shorts during class it would get all sweaty.
- It’s raining.
- My suitcase badly needs reorganizing.
- I have a lot of laundry I should be doing- I‘m probably out of ALL clean fitness apparel.
- My uniform scarves really need to be steamed.
- I should conserve all energy. It’s possible that I could be called for a redeye. Workout+ That = Exhaustion.
- –Or an international trip. Oh forget it. I would probably drop dead of exhaustion mid-flight if I worked out, and then got called to work an 8-12 hour flight without being mentally prepared.
- My relative position on reserve is 25 of 36, and it’s RAINING. They will definitely be calling me… because of all those weather delays and stuff…I bet crews are going to go illegal at anytime now… even though it’s only noon…
- If I go to boxing, or do CrossFit my arms will be really sore, and how am I supposed to organize all those heavy trays and boxes in the galley with sore arms?
- Or my poor legs! How would I be able to pull/push that 250lb cart up the aisle with sore legs?!
- Closing overhead bins with sore arms could be considered a fatal act.
- I would squat down to arm the doors with sore legs, and a sore butt and possibly never get up. My career as a flight attendant would be over.
- My arms would be so sore that I could risk spilling hot coffee on someone from having the muscle shakes.
- I haven’t eaten yet, and I can’t possibly workout without eating first.
- …and once I eat, It takes at least a few hours for my stomach to settle, and by then crew scheduling will have already assigned me a trip.
- Okay it just stopped raining–But it’s too dangerously wet outside to run, I could slip and get injured.
- I can’t find a hair tie. How is a girl supposed to get a legitimate workout in with hair in her face?!
- I can’t find my favorite workout tank top.
- I think I am still a tiny bit sore from yesterday. It’s probably best that I give my body a break.
- I haven’t had my coffee yet.
WAIT… I haven’t had my coffee yet! It’s past noon! No wonder I am making all of these excuses. Time for coffee, some lunch, and some “pep-me-up” music. My tank top is probably where I left it yesterday, and I have extra hair ties in the car. I have been number 25 of 26 since last night, and the stormy weather has passed through. I’m going to pop in a load of laundry, and switch it when I get home. I have to make sure to stretch after class to keep from getting sore. I’ll keep my phone on “loud ring” next to my heavy bag in class. I may even be able to get a short treadmill run in before class starts. Thank god I have tomorrow off, and they can’t call me out for an international trip. A redeye is still a possibility, but maybe a good workout would give me an extra boost of energy if that ridiculous hypothetical situation became true. Okay, time to grab my gloves and wraps and go. I’ve got a marathon in less than 5 weeks.